Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
Read from VGC:

As part of a new survey carried out by Game Developer, 600 developers were interviewed between February and March and asked a number of questions about business models and monetisation in video games.

Participants were asked how concerned they were about the sustainability of live service business models commonly being used today.

Of those asked, 39% said they were “somewhat concerned”, while a further 31% said they were “very concerned”. A quarter said they weren’t concerned, while the remaining 4% didn’t know.

Live service games are generally defined as those which continue to provide regular content after a game has been released – such as regular seasons with Battle Passes, for example – in an attempt to keep the player engaged and, ultimately, encourage continued spending on the game through microtransactions or subscriptions.

Of those surveyed who said they were either somewhat or very concerned about the model’s sustainability, around two thirds said they were worried about players losing interest in live service games, or that competition from other live service games would affect theirs.

Rising user acquisition costs and development costs were also cited as concerns.

Live service games have never been funded by responsible people when it comes to the insane amount of microtransactions that offer almost little content back for their worth.

When I was growing up, I was lucky, extremely lucky to get my parents to buy me a game. Don't know how kids are getting this monthly subscriptions paid.
I agree, when I was a kid I too was lucky for my parents to buy me a game. But these are different times we live in. Parents use video game systems as babysitters. Ever go on Xbox Live and hear all the foul-mout trash-talking 10-year-old? No sane parent would let their kid talk like that, so it is obvious that the parents are not watching their kid.

I agree, when I was a kid I too was lucky for my parents to buy me a game. But these are different times we live in. Parents use video game systems as babysitters. Ever go on Xbox Live and hear all the foul-mout trash-talking 10-year-old? No sane parent would let their kid talk like that, so it is obvious that the parents are not watching their kid.

Hrmm, yeah I can see it being used as cheap babysitting means.

Hopefully, most game developers can find a better altenative payment model compared to live services which looks like a difficult way to make money if your game has fewer fans.

Back